Condensation is a common problem…
We naturally create moisture in our everyday lives – from the obvious sources such are boiling the kettle, cooking, washing & bathing to the less obvious sources such as breathing and talking. Problems do vary across households due to differing lifestyles.
By following a few simple and logical steps condensation can be cured:-
- Initially wipe the mould away with warm soapy water followed by bleach on a damp cloth.
- Regulate the heating to a lower, but constant temperature using the thermostat (rather than two hours on a morning and two at night)
- Open windows regularly or leave on a breather latch.
- Fit extractor fans to the kitchen & bathroom(s) and ensure that these are always used with an over-run period.
- Cavity wall insulation and loft insulation will also help to ease the situation, grants are available for both.
- Do not dry washing indoors on radiators or a clothes airer – only use a tumble dryer that is ducted to the outside or a condensing dryer.
- Install a de-humidifier with a humidistat. This must be left on to be efficient and not just used on odd days.
If the problem persists after 6 – 8 weeks, please ring our office and book an appointment for our surveyor to visit and advise further.
We can offer a range of specialist products to help control the build-up of condensation at your property, such as heat recovery ventilators and positive pressure units. Typically, these range from £800 – £1500 (incl. VAT), installed.